Shivaji College Library is one of the oldest among Delhi University college libraries. It came into existence along with the foundation of the college in 1961. Shivaji College Library is fully automated with RFID System with KOHA ILMS.
The library is divided into threefloors
Ground Floor : Ground floor has one big open reading hall with 75 users seating capacity& twoAC reading Halls having 60 + 15 users seating capacity respectively, Issue & Return Counter, Resource Center for differently-abled, Photocopy Machine, Office Section and Washrooms.
First Floor : This floor has a rich collection of books on:
Western Side : it has English, Political Science, History, Sociology and Gifted Books.
Eastern Side : It has Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Biochemistry, Math, Computer, Economics, Commerce, BBE and Geography.
Second Floor : On western side it has collections ofHindi, Sanskrit, Library Science, Physical Education and General/Gifted Books.
The Library remains open from 9.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. throughout the year. The Library remains close on Sundays and all gazette holidays. Lending services is 9.30 a.m to 4.00 p.m.
The Shivaji College Library is to provide:
Print collection :- The library has a collection of printed books. Books are organized in open access shelves in various collections like General, Text Books and Reference.
Non-Print Collection :- Theseresources are freely available on internet and it can be accesses anytime and anywhere through DULS, NLIST & DELNET. Users are advised to visit the Library for User ID and Password.
1. Delhi University Library System (DULS) : DULS portal provides IP-based access to e-resources accessible only within college/DU campus. Most searched E-resources/databases includes:
|Science Direct||Click here|
|Taylor & Francis||Click here|
|Oxford University Press||Click here|
|Cambridge University Press||Click here|
2. DELNET (Developing Library Network) : It is a major resource sharing network of libraries in India and 8 other countries. Our college library being its member has access to:
3. NLIST : It provides access to 6000+ e-journals and 1,99,500 e-books accessible through the INFLIBNET’s proxy server (http://nlist.inflibnet.ac.in/) are as follows:
|SI No.||E-resources||Publishing Country||No. of Journals||Back-files from|
|1||American Institute of Physics||USA||18||Ten yrs.|
|2||Annual Reviews||USA||33||Ten yrs.|
|3||Economic and Political Weekly (EPW)||India||1||1966+|
|5||Institute of Physics||UK||46||Vol. 1+|
|7||Oxford University Press||UK||262||1996+|
|8||Royal Society of Chemistry||UK||29||Ten yrs.|
|9||H. W. Wilson||USA||3,075||1982+|
|SI No.||E-resources||Publishing Country||Books|
|2||Cambridge Books Online||UK||1800|
|3||EBSCO Host-Net Library||USA||936|
|4||Hindustan Book Agency||India||65|
|5||Institute of South East Asian Studies (ISEAS) Books||India||382|
|6||Oxford Scholarship Online||UK||1,402|
|8||Taylor & Francis eBooks||UK||1,800|
|10||Sage Publication eBooks||UK||1,000|
|11||Open Access (Net Library)||3,500|
Access to South Asia Archive (SAA) and World E-Book Library (WEL) is also made available through the INFLIBNET’s proxy server (http://nlist.inflibnet.ac.in/) :
|SI No.||Name of Collection||No. of Titles|
|1||World eBook Library||30,00,000+|
|2||South Asia Archive||4.5 million pages|
OTHER USEFUL RESOURCES :
1. National Digital Library of India (NDL) : The National Digital library of India (NDLI) is a project under Ministry of Human Resource Development, India. The objective is to integrate several national and international digital libraries in one single web-portal. The NDLI provides free of cost access to many books in English and the Indian languages. Access can be made through web or via mobile app, available for Android at Google Play.
2. E- PG Pathshala : e-PG Pathshala is an initiative of the MHRD under its National Mission on Education through ICT (NME-ICT) being executed by the UGC. It is one portal under which High quality, curriculum-based, interactive content in different subjects across all disciplines of social sciences, arts, fine arts & humanities, natural & mathematical sciences, linguistics and languages are available.
3. Shodhganga : It is a repository of thesis and dissertations of all central and state universities, maintained by INFLIBNET. It can be accessed by anyone free of cost. The aim to facilitate open access to Indian theses and dissertations to the academic community world-wide. 4. Shodhgangotri It is the repository of Indian Research in Progress (approved Synopses/Research Proposals for PhD programme). The repository on one hand shows the trends and directions of research being conducted in Indian universities, on the other hand it would avoid duplication of research.
4. MOOCs : MOOC stands for ‘’Massive Open Online Courses’’. These are courses provided online by reputed Indian and foreign universities where anyone can enroll for free and learn at their own pace. Video lectures form the core of MOOCs. Quizzes and assignments are also given out periodically. Some major platforms are:
CDs/DVDs:-Library also has a collection of approx. 739 CD/DVD.
New Arrival Display Service : Books newly added to the library are displayed on the New Arrival Display Rack before they are released for loan.
Reference Service : It is to assist users in getting their required information and make full use of the resources in the library. It includes:
Photocopying Service The library helps in providing photocopies of articles/text to students and staff members from documents available in the library.
Internet Access : Twelve Computers are available for users for accessing Internet and E-Journals.
Reservation of Book(s) : Books in great demand and which generally remain under issue can be reserved by user on the circulation counter.
OPAC SERVICE : OPAC (On-line Public Access Catalogue) is the tool for searching the collection of the Library. This provides facility to search and check the availability of the document/(s) of your choice in the library. The documents could be searched by a number of access points viz. Title, Author, Subject, Publisher, Keywords, etc. These access points could be used individually or in conjunction with each other using Boolean operators AND / OR for searching the documents.
Resource Center : Library has setup a separate & dedicated internet service area for the students. It is located on the Ground Floor of the Library. 12 PCs are available for students to access internet and online resources.
Differently-abled Resource Unit : Library has established a resource unit for differently-abled students, faculty and staff. It is located at the Ground Floor in the Library. Braille Kits, Braille Books, Angel Audio Players and other facilities are available in the Library, apart from this the concerned students are provided with the membership of DU Braille Library, so that they can access all available material.
Inter Library Loan (ILL) : The Shivaji College Library also offers Inter Library Loan (ILL) services to the users and supplements its stock by obtaining materials from other libraries on demand from the users through DELNET.
WI-FI : The campus of the College is Wi-Fi enabled. The same facility can be accessed by the bonafide users in the library also.
Current Awareness Service (CAS) : The library provides Current Awareness Service to the users and helps them to keep up to date with latest information. In this regard the library provides them the latest magazines and periodicals, books for general awareness, competitive exams books and newspapers etc.
Property Counter : property counter is at the entrance of the library. Users are required to deposit their Bags (excluding valuable items such as money, passport, credit/debit cards/mobile phones etc.) with the property counter attendant before entering the library. Library will not be responsible for any loss etc.
Self-Check Out/Check In : The library provides self check-out(issue) facility through KIOSK and check-in(return) of books through Book Drop to its users.
Syllabus &Previous Years Question Papers : Syllabus and Previous years question papers are kept in the College Library will not be issued to anyone under any circumstances. However, the user is allowed to consult them inside the College Library.
Information Literacy Programmes / Library Orientation Programme : Library orientation programme is organized every year for new comers at the beginning of the academic year. Book Exhibition, etc.
Feed-Back System : Feed-back register has been placed in the College Library. Wherein the users can give their feedback and suggestion for further development.
All members of the library team are available for users assistance. Users' suggestions and comments are welcome.