Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
In consonance with Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan, initiated by the Prime Minister, Shivaji College has made earnest efforts to contribute to this Clean India campaign. The NSS unit of the college has organized various seminars, competitions and cleanliness drives to create awareness about importance of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation. Some of the activities undertaken in the academic year 2016-17 are:
- NSS volunteers of Shivaji College participated in "Walk for Water" on the occasion of World Water Day at India gate on March 22, 2017. The volunteers pledged in the presence of honorable minister of youth affairs Mr. Vijay Goel that they will not waste even a single drop of water and will spread awareness around them about the need to conserve water.
- The consumption of non-renewable sources is increasing at an alarming rate. So, there is need to shift to some other renewable sources of energy i.e. solar, wind and geothermal energy etc. A step towards green energy has been undertaken by Shivaji College by installing Solar Power Plant on its roof top as it is one of the cleanest source of energy.
- 'Cleanliness is next to Godliness' with this motto, health and hygiene campaign was organized in collaboration with Lions International Club Delhi for the children of Raghubir Nagar on February 23, 2017. The objective was to create awareness by sensitizing and educating children living in slums about different aspects of cleanliness and hygiene.
- A Cleanliness and Awareness Drive was initiated by volunteers of NSS and Leaders for Tomorrow on October 21, 2016. They organized a rally from college to Raghubir Nagar and interacted with the residents to create mass awareness on importance of clean surroundings. Posters on cleanliness were displayed and volunteers armed with brooms spruced up the area around the college.
- Swachhta Pakhwara was successfully organized in Shivaji College on August 29-30, 2016. As part of the program several events and competitions were organized- slogan writing, film making, run for cleanliness. The students along with faculty cleaned all areas adjoining the college boundary. The students cleaned up all pavements that are littered and cleaned walls on which posters are put up. The students also interacted with people on red lights and sensitize them not to throw garbage on roads, or litter or spit on roads.
- Students, teaching and non-teaching staff participated in the Plantation drive on September 5, 2016 and celebrated Teacher's Day by planting saplings in the college campus. The poster making competition on the given theme was also organized in the month of June, 2016. The college is committed to recycle and re-use policy. In this regard, the college has its own paper recycling unit and it is used to make handmade papers.
The Shivaji College is highly conscious about cleanliness and its impact on health and environment. The staff and students are conscientiously and actively involved in all the activities relating to cleanliness throughout the year and to reverberate to 'Swatchh Bharat' mission.